26 Oct Solar Installers of Washington seeks Executive Director
Solar Installers of Washington seeks an energetic, organized, creative, hardworking, personable candidate to coordinate the growth of our cutting-edge industry association. S/he must be ready to lead administrative duties, as well as to serve as the solar community’s campaign director in Washington State. They will create and direct opportunities for solar business owners, homeowners, owners, and community institutions to effectively advocate for proactive solar policies, nurturing relationships with key policy makers on behalf of SIW.
SOLAR INSTALLERS OF WASHINGTON
Solar Installers of Washington (SIW) is a professional trade association established in October, 2013, to be a unified voice for the common business interests of its members, particularly related to public policy, legislation, and governmental relations. SIW educates legislators and regulators while promoting public understanding about the impacts of policies related to solar energy inside the State of Washington. SIW also represents the interests of Washington-based solar installers in conversations with manufacturers, distributors and allies that routinely interact with its members.
Forge and expand partnerships by cultivating and maintaining relationships among solar businesses, strategic legislators, solar home- and business-owners, utility representatives, and community organizations interested in solar power.
Articulate the economic, social, and environmental benefits of solar power for Washington, and empower solar stakeholders to speak up for solar action in the Legislature, the Utilities & Transportation Commission, and more.
Develop and execute a strategic communications plan to build political power for solar stakeholders through traditional, social, and other media.
Coordinate events highlighting the value of solar, from tours of venues benefitting from solar to lobbying meetings among solar stakeholders and policy leaders.
Support the organization’s growth and expansion into a broader industry association by recruiting new members and sources of financial support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Membership: Work closely with Treasurer and Board President to maintain our current membership and sponsorship base, sending annual renewal notices as needed. Recruit new dues-paying members and new event sponsors from the Northwest’s broader solar supply chain.
Research new revenue opportunities from grants, projects, and more.
Meetings: Help organize SIW annual membership meetings as well as ad hoc meetings as needed.
Communications: With the help of the SIW Board, write, edit, and send newsletters and other internal membership communications. Build on and execute the SIW’s existing strategy for advocacy communications among the broader public of solar supporters.
Websites: Ensure that the Solar Installers of Washington website maintains up-to-date information for our members, and that the SolarStrongWA.org serves as an effective platform for solar advocates to speak up for proactive public policy. Advise and execute on evolving web strategy as the organization grows.
Social Media: With help from Board members, ensure relevant posts are made regularly to the SIW social media pages.
Public Presentations and Testimony: Represent the SIW among industry partners, policy leaders, advocacy organizations, tribes, utilities, the media, and more. Earn the trust of diverse stakeholders, and serve as a voice for Washington’s professional solar industry in public presentations and official testimony to policymakers.
The ideal candidate for this position has an entrepreneurial spirit and is a highly organized self-starter with strong interpersonal skills. The candidate has experience building grassroots movements and coordinating projects for membership organizations. S/he possesses impeccable written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Deep experience building and growing political advocacy movements
- Experience with campaign-style earned, paid, and social media
- Experience in fundraising
- Experience developing educational materials and position pieces
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Native to digital community organizing. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Mail, and constituent relationship management software
- Collaborative and team-focused with interpersonal skills to successfully network and/or speak publicly at private- and public-sector events
- Grasp of key policy issues driving solar in Washington is a plus; strong command of up-to-the-minute energy news
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of Solar Installers of Washington, with previous experience in the solar industry a plus
- Capacity to problem-solve and develop a project as a team-member in some instances, and alone in others; ability to ask for help whenever it’s needed
- Willing to provide own transportation, phone, web connections to fulfill the job (mileage reimbursement available)
- Willing to work occasional evenings or weekends as needed
Five years of experience in public policy, business, and/or clean energy
Experience with the major strategies and tactics of political advocacy
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Bachelor’s Degree or further education preferred
Salary commensurate with experience
To apply, please email a personalized cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by Nov 15 2017 or until position is filled.